BOTOX ARTISTRY TAKES A SKILLED HAND
Let The Patient Beware – One Type Of Injection Does Not Suit All
CINCINNATI, OHIO – May 9, 2011 – BotoxÒ has been used cosmetically to treat wrinkles for close to 30 years, and in addition to cosmetic surgeons, a rising number of dermatologists and even health spas are now offering BotoxÒ to their clients. Dr. Jon E. Mendelsohn, Medical Director of Advanced Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center, is a nationally renowned BotoxÒ trainer, who teaches BotoxÒ techniques to physicians around the country. Mendelsohn’s practice performs the second highest volume of BotoxÒ procedures in the Midwest, earning him BotoxÒ “Platinum Plus” rating.
According to Dr. Jon E. Mendelsohn, Medical Director of Advanced Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center, “With its rising popularity, I like to caution that, when it comes to administering BotoxÒ”, “one type of injection does not necessarily suit all. Each patient’s face and facial expressions are unique, and it is important for the patient to discuss the desired effects with his/her physician – whether it is the reduction in appearance of lines and wrinkles in between the brows, across the forehead, or at the crow’s feet. Cosmetic surgeons are specifically trained to administer BotoxÒ in different areas of the forehead and brow, and the methods used can be very different for each and every patient.”
He added, “For example, some patients may need an injection at a site right between the brows, or some may need it closer to the outer edges of the eyelids or some may need an injection in a site at the very top of the forehead. BotoxÒ has definitely become an artistry, and by being upfront with your cosmetic surgeon about the desired effects, he/she can custom-deliver the desired results.”
According to Mendelsohn, some key questions that a patient might want to ask their physician prior to receiving their initial BotoxÒ injection are:
- Who is doing the injecting and what is their training? Mendelsohn advises, just as one would seek a specialist in other areas of medicine, finding a specialist in the art of BotoxÒ is extremely important to avoid unnecessary complications. Typically the providers in this region performing the most treatments are Facial Plastic Surgeon’s, who are themselves trainers for other doctors around the nation. Mendelsohn’s practice is currently 2nd in the region in the volume of BotoxÒ procedures performed.
- What is the specific technique being used and at what sites will the BotoxÒ is injected to achieve those goals? Mendelsohn suggests holding up a hand mirror and having the surgeon “mimic” what the final appearance will look like by gently lifting the skin around the potential injection sites to help the patient better envision the end results. Additionally, Mendelsohn himself also confirms and reviews the treatment options and goals with each patient individually to determine which technique he will use to achieve the desired results.
- Does the physician use the “pinch” technique to make the treatment easier? According to Mendelsohn, one of the strategies used to make these treatments quick and simple is to distract the patient by using the “pinch” technique. This makes the treatment move quickly, (in just seconds), and also more comfortable, as opposed to the many techniques that rely on a more “heavy handed” approach.
- How long does the physician anticipate the BotoxÒ effects will last?According to Mendelsohn, there are strategies for using BotoxÒ that will help the results to last longer than the 3 months that is cited by Allergen. Mendelsohn typically sees patient’s results lasting close to 4 months, and with appropriate re-treatment at the right times, commonly 5-6 months. This has much to do with the strategy of the treatment plan, so be upfront when asking your physician about how to get the maximum results that will last for the maximum amount of time.
- Be upfront when asking about the cost. Cheaper does not always mean better. According to Mendelsohn, the average cost for a BotoxÒ injection in the Midwest is about $300.00 per site. Many times several areas are treated at a single time, and discounts are not uncommon in these situations. Discounts can often decrease the average cost per site to around $225.00-$250.00. Mendelsohn cautions, however, to “let the buyer beware.” Patients should make sure that they are getting the proper number of units, (dosage), as many practices, especially those not performing these treatments on a daily basis, dilute their BotoxÒ and use a smaller amount, which achieves a shorter-lasting and less effective treatment.
- Tell your physician about any other cosmetic surgical or non-surgical treatments you are currently receiving, to find out if BotoxÒ can work effectively for you in conjunction with those treatments.
- Perhaps most importantly, ask your friends. “Ask your friends who performed their BotoxÒ, and if they are happy with the results,” says Mendelsohn. “I am happy to say that 99% of our patients refer their friends, indicating a high level of satisfaction with the BotoxÒ procedures performed here at Advanced.”
Mendelsohn added, “BotoxÒ can also be used for a variety of other medical conditions such as Chronic Sweating (Hyperhidrosis), Tension Headaches and Migraine Headaches, so it is also important that a patient check into the experience and successes that their physician has had with such conditions, if they are considering Botox for any of these reasons.”
“The bottom line”, says Mendelsohn, “is making sure that the physician thoroughly evaluates each individual patient’s face and facial expressions, along with their desired goals, so the end results is an improvement with a natural-looking and refreshed appearance.”
Dr. Jon E. Mendelsohn is double board certified by both the American Board of Facial & Reconstructive Surgery and also the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. He serves as the medical director of Advanced Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Centers new, state-of-the-art facilities located in the Rookwood Tower in Hyde Park. For more information, call 513-351-FACE or visit www.351face.com.